The Anchorage Running Club will award up to five $3,000 scholarships in 2019!
Anchorage high school graduating seniors who are runners are eligible to apply. This includes seniors from public, private and charter schools within the Municipality of Anchorage, as well as home-schooled seniors. Minimum qualifications include two years of participation in running activities during high school, either in track and field, or cross country running. In addition to the student's involvement with running, the scholarship committee considers the student's community involvement and service, commitment to a healthy lifestyle, and academic ability. We are not necessarily looking for the fastest runners; what we look for is evidence of the student's enthusiasm for running. We also consider financial need. Anchorage high school seniors who are interested should download the ARC 2019 Scholarship Application and send it to Anchorage Running Club by March 8, 2019.
- Complete applications, including letters of recommendation and essays must be received at the Running Club's Post Office Box (Anchorage Running Club, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 243362, Anchorage, AK 99524-3362), or scanned and emailed to <firstname.lastname@example.org> no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 8, 2019. ARC will inform applicants by email when the complete application has been received.
- If the application is emailed as an attachment, all pages must be scanned into one PDF document, labeled with the applicant’s name.
- The total number of pages, including the application, must be no more than 10.
- All information is subject to verification with school counselors/coaches.
- Award recipients will be invited to participate in the Running Club’s RunFest Awards Ceremony that will be held on the third Sunday in August.
Minimum Criteria for Scholarship
- At least two years’ documented involvement with running during high school.
- The high school must be within the Municipality of Anchorage. “High school” includes public, private, and charter schools, as well as home-schooled students.
- The applicant must be a graduating senior.
- The applicant must plan to attend a college or university located in the United States and be enrolled at a college or university and attending classes not later than March 31, 2020.
- The scholarship must be used not later than December 31, 2020.
- Completed application, essay, and letters of recommendation (Note: essays become the property of ARC and may be used for club and/or newspaper publications).
- Enthusiasm for and involvement with running
- Community involvement and service
- Academic ability
- Financial need
- Healthy lifestyle
- Ability to surmount obstacles in order to achieve goals
Notification of Selection
Students selected to receive scholarships will be notified by June 1, 2019. A brief article describing each scholarship recipient will be posted on the ARC website.